Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Preach My Gospel lesson explanation

This will be the first entry in a series of FHE lessons based on the lessons in Preach My Gospel (Chapter 3).  There are several objectives that I have with these:

1.  I am my children's first and most important missionary.  It is my job to teach them all the principles of the gospel. Following Preach My Gospel is a great way to ensure all the basic principles are covered.

2.  It is my job to prepare my children to BE missionaries.  In order to do that, they need opportunities to teach and explain gospel principles in their own words.  Learning to verbalize their own thoughts and feelings is a vital skill I want them to develop.

3.  Music is one of the best ways to teach and remember doctrine.  The truths in a well-loved Primary song or Hymn will be cherished and remembered forever.

4.  Memorized scriptures are also a great way to have doctrine engraved on their hearts.  Elder Scott said, "Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change."  I want my children to have that great power.

I also wanted to make the lessons simple, without a lot of prep time or materials needed.  I wanted them to be accessible to families with children of mixed ages, so that each child would be able to learn and be strengthened.  I also wanted to tie in daily scripture/gospel study so there would be greater continuity and reinforcing of the principles.

Each PMG lesson is broken down into 6-12 principles.  For example, in lesson 1 there are eight principles.  I highly recommend going in order as they build upon each other. (Be aware that the blog does not list them in order.) Then at the end of the eight weeks spent learning those principles, we will have a review week, where each member of the family gets the opportunity to teach a "first discussion", tying the principles into one cohesive lesson.

As I was writing the lessons, I first identified all the points of doctrine in a particular section.  Then I chose one song and one scripture that I felt best taught those principles.

The lessons do not have to be taught exactly as written.  I highly suggest you adapt them to your family's ages and needs.  The important part is the doctrine.  How you present it is up to you.

You'll notice there is a lot of material per lesson.  I suggest using the main lesson for FHE.  Then, each day after, assign one family member to teach and bear testimony of that same principle (using different scriptures, stories, songs, or personal experiences).  I give ideas for doing this, but feel free to adapt it to your family's needs.  Also practice that week's scripture and song each day and try to have them memorized by the end of the week.

These have been a blessing to our family, and I hope they can bless yours as well.

Preach My Gospel manual

No comments:

Post a Comment