After all those years of apostasy, when there was so much confusion and misinformation on the earth, our loving Heavenly Father brought forth an ancient volume of scripture comparable to the Bible, which contains the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This record is The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.
Let me tell you about it by teaching you a song. [An Angel Came to Joseph Smith (CS p.86)] (It will be taught one verse at a time, as explained below.)
How did the Book of Mormon come about? Read or tell the story of Moroni's visit to Joseph Smith and obtaining and translating the gold plates (JS-H 1:29-54, 59-60). Then sing verse 1.
What does the Book of Mormon contain? Read the first 3 paragraphs of the introduction. Sing verses 2 and 3.
What will you do with this book? Read the second to last paragraph of the introduction. Give an invitation to read, ponder, and ask if the Book of Mormon is true. Sing verse 4.
Read the last paragraph of the introduction. If you gain a testimony or witness of the Book of Mormon, what additional three things will you also gain a testimony of? (1. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. 2. Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. 3. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is Christ's true church, once again restored to earth.) Why are these all connected?
This week's scripture is Moroni 10:4-5. Discuss any unfamiliar words and practice it several times.
Bear testimony of the things you have taught.
This week for scripture study: (in addition to singing the song and reciting the scripture)
*1. Pretend you are a missionary. Show your "investigator" a copy of the Book of Mormon, briefly explain its contents, then share one or two passages that are meaningful to you. Bear your testimony of its truthfulness.
* This can be done each night by a different member of the family.
2. Read the Testimonies of Three Witnesses and Eight Witnesses. Why did the Lord have these witnesses? Bear your own witness of the Book of Mormon.
3. Read, sing, or recite the eighth article of faith. Explain what it means. Bear your testimony of the Book of Mormon.
4. Read 2 Nephi 3:12. Explain what it means. Bear your testimony of the Book of Mormon.
5. Read the Title page of the Book of Mormon. Tell us what you learned. Bear your testimony of the Book of Mormon.
6. Read D&C 42:12 and D&C 35:17. Discuss the importance of the Book of Mormon in bringing the "fulness of the gospel" to the world. Bear testimony of the Book of Mormon.
7. Sing "As I Search the Holy Scriptures" (Hymn #277). Discuss its message and bear testimony of the power of studying the scriptures.